11 January 2017
The Positive Benefits of Interchange Australia’s Recreational Activities for Children – By Interchange Australia Consultant, Amber Hall
Interchange Australia is currently running the January ASDESI Holiday Kids Klub. Yesterday, a group of children had an exciting day at Shoalhaven Zoo, watching the captivating crocodile and marmoset monkey feeding shows, and feeding some animals including the llamas, kangaroos and farmyard animals. Some of the other fun activities on offer this January include a trip to Questacon in Canberra and Surfing at Killalea! Other activities on Tuesdays and Thursdays include visits to local parks, local libraries, movies, tenpin bowling, golf and much more!
The ASDESI Holiday Kids Klub runs throughout the NSW school holidays and will be held on the remaining dates in January:
• Tuesday 16th- Thursday 18th January 2018
• Tuesday 23rd –Thursday 25th January 2018
The ASDESI Holiday Kids Klub is available for children aged 6-16 years with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The ASDESI program was initiated by the Kollege of Knowledge Kommittee for Kids (KKKK) and provides a range of services for families in the Wingecarribee shire caring for a young person (up to the age of 18 years of age) with ASD. Depending upon client’s needs and eligibility under the NDIS, and/or ASDESI to receive services we can offer supports to improve your daily life and increase your opportunities to experience a wide range of engaging exciting activities including music, cooking, art, drama and other exciting recreational activities.
The positive benefits of joining Interchange Australia’s activities include:
• enhancing friendships amongst children – playing and interacting with peers in a variety of environments including in our welcoming facilities and within the community;
• increasing confidence in children’s abilities – whether they have an existing ability or skill or would like to try something new, we support children to try different activities;
• providing a positive experience with empathetic staff – our activities promote interaction with other people outside children’s existing family and friends. Our staff ensure that they are aware of individual needs to enhance children’s enjoyment of their experiences!;
• parents/carers can increase their support networks with other parents/carer and have respite;
• exposure to different activities and places – children get to travel to different locations and visit a wide range of exciting places. Some of the exciting places they have visited include Minnamurra Rainforest, Shoalhaven and Symbio Zoo, Sydney Olympic Park and the Early Start Discovery Space at the University of Wollongong. Through exposure to different activities children may discover new hobbies or interests that they will continue to enjoy throughout their life;
• promoting a healthy lifestyle and developing gross and fine motor skills – the wide range of activities offer opportunities for children to increase their strength, coordination and resilience by engaging in a range of activities. Whether it is learning an instrument or participating in a physical activity, children develop skills that promote optimal wellbeing;
• promoting cooperation and teamwork – through engaging with different peers, children are encouraged to foster cooperation with peers outside of their regular environments of school and/or home;
• increasing self-confidence – through participation in our activities children can experience a great sense of achievement in their abilities, fostering increased self-confidence, improved self-esteem and enhancement of overall wellbeing; and
• FUN – lastly but not least children are encouraged to enjoy themselves, laugh and have FUN!
For more information about our ASDESI Program, The ASDESI Holiday Kids Klub or our wide range of recreational activities, please call 4868 6677.