14 November 2017
New Information in Dealing with Dementia – By Interchange Australia Consultant, Wendy Hughes
A forum was recently held to identify needs for a multi-disciplinary dementia clinic for the South West Sydney region. Some interesting information arose from this forum:
- South Western Sydney has the highest expected increase in dementia prevalence in all of NSW. The region is expected to see up to 460% increase in the number of people with dementia by 2050.
- 318 people will be diagnosed per day by 2025 – that is only about 7 years away!
- 25,938 people Australia-wide have younger onset dementia and by 2025 it is expected to rise to 29,375.
- Dementia is the second-leading cause of death in Australians.
- Early intervention is very important.
Dementia Australia advise to help look after your brain health it’s important to be social with people whose company you enjoy and in ways that interest you. Keeping your mind active is important to keep it functioning well and challenging the mind with new activities, helps to build new brain cells and strengthen connections between them.
Let Interchange Australia challenge your mind with our varied programs and services. We can offer:
- A variety of music programs such as singing classes and groups, guitar classes, band/performance class and ensemble and a music therapy-based program;
- Creative Creations art program;
- Social Support programs to assist people to engage in the local community and take up new hobbies such as woodworking or sewing; dancing or walking; or engaging the brain by playing games such as chess, scrabble or cards;
- a library of memory and mind games suitable for all ages.
Please call Interchange Australia on 1300 112 334, talk to one of our friendly consultants and take up the challenge.