13 July 2018
National Diabetes Week – By Interchange Australia Consultant, Julie Doran
National Diabetes Week runs from 8 July to 14 July 2018.
In 2018, National Diabetes Week will continue to raise awareness about the importance of early detection and early treatment for all types of diabetes as part of the “It’s About Time” campaign.
What are the types of Diabetes?
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder and occurs when the body’s autoimmune system accidentally attacks and destroys insulin producing cells in the pancreas. People with type 1 diabetes depend on insulin every day of their lives to replace the insulin the body cannot produce.
640 people end up in hospital each year because the early signs of type one diabetes are missed. The 4T early signs to look are for are:
• Thirsty – really thirsty and unable to quench that thirst;
• Toilet – going to the toilet a lot;
• Tired – more tired than usual; and
• Thinner – recently lost weight
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin and / or the insulin does not work effectively to meet the body’s needs.
Type 2 diabetes:
• Represents 85% to 90% of all cases of diabetes;
• Is more likely to develop in people with a family history of type 2 diabetes or from particular ethnic backgrounds;
• Usually develops in adults over the age of 45 years but is increasingly occurring in younger age groups; and
• Can be delayed or prevented in 58% of cases.
Early diagnosis is key in both type one and type two diabetes, so you can get treatment and ongoing support and management to reduce the risk of diabetes related complications.
If you or a loved one has diabetes and you require some extra assistance, Interchange Australia can provide you with day-to-day support. One of our friendly support workers can assist with a variety of tasks, such as personal care, domestic assistance, social support or transport to get to your important appointments.
For more information, please call one of our experienced Consultants on 1300 112 334.