23 October 2019
Australians are living a more sedentary lifestyle due to the increase in technology and transportation. Physical Activity Australia has renamed October, Walktober – Australia’s walking month! It’s the ideal time to celebrate walking. October is that time of year when you feel a ‘spring’ in your step; the weather is warming up and it’s a great time to get outside.
In Australia we are blessed with abundant nature to enjoy walking in the outdoors. Our options are extensive including access to beautiful botanical gardens, local parks and community gardens, National Parks, coastal areas and beaches, rivers and lakes.
The health benefits of walking are abundant and it is widely recognised by all health professionals the enormous benefits that can be gained through walking.
• improve health conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure
• stimulate the senses as you can smell or touch flowers or leaves, listen
to birds (Look out for swooping magpies in Spring!)
• assist in maintaining a healthy weight. Australia has the highest rate of
obesity in the world*
• increase your Vitamin D intake. Don’t forget to slip, slop, slap and slide
• reduce stress and increase mental wellbeing
• be as low or high impact as you desire and is cost effective
• improve your pet’s health and wellbeing e.g. both you and your dog can
enjoy a walk.
• increase socialisation as you meet people, for example you can join a
walking club or go on walking holidays.
Of course if you feel more comfortable indoors, there are a range of gyms, personal trainers and therapists that are available to increase your physical exercise indoors. It’s important to find your right fit for your medical and physical needs and find the exercise that you enjoy doing!
At Interchange Australia we incorporate walking into many of our services and programs, including visits to Botanical Gardens or BBQs in the outdoors. During services we assist clients to go shopping and go walking in the outdoors. Interchange’s Day Options program has 2 Fit 2 Quit that increases participant’s health and fitness while having fun doing a range of activities including Zumba and swimming. Our ASDESI Holiday Kids Klub incorporates park play and walking so that children increase their enjoyment of physical exercise from an early age.
*Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2019