1 November 2017
Laughter is the Best Medicine – By Interchange Australia Consultant, Debra Burford
Laughter, it’s hard to beat for medicinal purposes as it comes with only positive effects for the human body. Research within the scholarly field demonstrates that laughter is known to;
• Boost our immune system by increasing our white blood cells;
• Expand the inner walls of our arteries which increases the flow of blood to flow and decreases the risk of heart disease and blood pressure;
• Reduce the level of the stress hormone cortisol, adrenaline and dopamine while increasing the production of serotonin and endorphins (the natural anti- depressants);
• Be a natural painkiller enabling more pain tolerance;
• Massage the abdominal organs (with those big belly laughs);
• Lowers blood sugar levels;
• Exercises 15 facial muscles increasing the blood flow to the face which aids cell renewal;
• Forces air out of our lungs and increases oxygen supplies through our bodies;
• Makes our minds clearer and more productive;
• Induces better sleep quality;
• Release oxytocin ( the empathy hormone ) which creates bonding of individuals; and
• Be contagious as listening to others laughs lifts others moods
Research at Stanford University found;
30 seconds of deep belly laughter is equivalent to 10 minutes of strenuous rowing in its psychological and physical benefits to the human body.
So let’s laugh long and often, after all, it’s good for us! Children on average laugh 400 times a day whereas adults over 35 laugh just 15 times a day. It is also a known fact that even forced laughter has the same effect on our bodies as true laughter. So enjoy this privilege that only the human race has the ability to do!
Interchange Australia offers a wide range of fun-filled activities and outings. To learn more about these experiences and to laugh along with friends, both old and new, please call one of our friendly and experienced consultants on 1300 112 334.
I will leave you with this fun clip, it’s an oldie but I think a goodie, enjoy!