20 June 2018
Interchange Australia: Recognising the Importance of Animals and Pets – By Interchange Australia Consultant, Amber Hall
“Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world” with over 62% of Australian households owning pets*. Whilst dogs and cats remain the most popular pets, people own a wide range of pets including birds, reptiles, horses, rabbits, reptiles and so many more! At Interchange Australia we are proud to provide support to our clients to benefit from animals and assist in looking after their beloved pets.
What are the benefits of animals and pets?
It is widely recognised that owning a pet or having involvement with animals can boost your wellbeing. The benefits of animals and pets include;
• assistance with mobility and independence – guide and assistance dogs
• companionship and unconditional love – pets can be affectionate and loyal, hence the popular phrase for dogs “man’s best friend”.
• increased social interaction – pets can assist people with social interaction which is beneficial for people with disabilities such as autism. It can also assist people by providing companionship through grief and trauma.
• improved fitness and overall health – a lot of pets need regular exercise including dogs and horses, which also improves the owner’s fitness.
• relaxation including reducing blood pressure and anxiety – owning a pet can fulfil the human need for physical contact, patting and grooming a pet can lower a person’s heart rate.
How can Interchange Australia assist you to benefit from animals in your life?
• assisting you to look after your pet – support to care for your beloved pet including assisting you with feeding, grooming and walking.
• group and individual activities to visit a wide range of zoos and farms – Interchange Australia regularly visits zoos and farms including the National Zoo and Aquarium, Wild Life Sydney, Symbio Wildlife Park, Shoalhaven Zoo to name only a few!
• volunteering – supporting clients to volunteer at local animal shelters and other animal organisations.
• assisting with animal related studies – supporting clients to study at TAFE and various work placements.
• participate in therapy – our clients participate in a range of therapies including the very popular Equine Therapy at Eureka Horse Wisdom
• Interchange Australia has a dog-friendly office!
For more information, please call 1300 112 334.
*RSPCA Australia www.rspca.org.au